Friday 3 April 2020

Flying... Fleeing


Ten days ago, I managed to leave London for Frankfurt. It was a very, very empty Heathrow and the departures board resembled one at a small provincial airport. Many of the few people were wearing masks. Quite a few Asians were wearing full protective clothing. 

The first flight that I was booked on, had already been cancelled, but they put me on a later one on the same day. I arrived early at Heathrow, just in case there would be more bureaucracy. There wasn’t and all the coffee shops and food places were closed. I had nothing to do but hope that they don’t cancel the flight.


At some point, the young chap, who sat next to me waiting for his flight to Athens, put on a face mask. He wore it for about 15 minutes and then took it off again. I asked him why he had put it on and then why he had taken it off. He explained, that he did not really believe the masks were necessary but that he had promised his parents to wear one. He laughed when I asked whether 15 minutes made him feel that he has kept his promise. Then he added, “this Corona only hits old people, anyway”. “You are just talking to one”, I said, “Oh”, he said, “I didn’t mean it. I am sorry”. 


Here’s someone spotted waiting for his flight:






The flight wasn’t cancelled. I have never flown in such a clean airplane. Nevertheless, I disinfected the seat-handles and seat-belt. The woman next to me wore a mask. People were very quiet. No one coughed. No one even got up to go to the toilet.


I expected strict measures to regulate entry. I expected to be quizzed about my movements or perhaps even be instructed to self-isolate for 14 days. Having read about arriving passengers in New-Zealand and in the Maldives, who had been quarantined in beach-front luxury hotels, I was fantasising about something similar. Nothing of the sort. Much to my surprise, there were no special measures at the Frankfurt airport. Just the usual: passport control, luggage and out. 

7 comments:

  1. Well said. Particularly on world leaders. Enjoyed reading your Heathrow experience. We will survive but the societal cost is huge. I sense much depression abounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...fleeing to Germany?...what a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apparently to this day aeroplanes from Iran - one of the worst hit countries by Coronavirus - land in Frankfurt without restriction and passengers enter Germany unchecked apart from passport control. On the other Hand, Swiss, French, Austrian or Polish citizens are barred from entry.

    Philippinos are flown in especially to help dig for asparagus. We are made to understand that your average highly trained German sociolgy student is not cut out for heavy duty agricultural work. Nor are our friends, the refugees.

    We don`t live in a perfect world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vielen Dank für Deine Ausführungen. Wir haben diese mit grossem Interesse gelesen und bewundern
    Deine so treffend geschilderten Argumente, die auch noch ein Schmunzeln zulassen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ich freue mich, dass du wieder in
    DEUTSCHLAND bist. Mir gefällt wie du schreibst. Dir alles Gute und bleibe gesund.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ich sehe, dass du an eine der begehrten Masken gekommen bist, Privileg der VIP. Ich bin gespannt, wie wir damit eines Tages aussehen werden, wenn auch das Fussvolk zu solchen Errungenschaften kommt.

    ReplyDelete