Saturday 13 June 2020

I don’t want to be your friend anymore


Occasionally even I get “friendship” offers on facebook. If it is someone I don’t know, I try to understand who they are and what their reason might be for wishing to “befriend” me. A few months ago, I was offered friendship by an activist in the Deutsch-israelische Gesellschaft (DIG), a German-Israeli friendship society. I was somewhat bemused, as DIG activists find views which are critical of Israeli government policy hard to take. Was Ms. X more broadminded than her breed, or did she befriend me thinking that I was a German speaking, Jewish, Israeli academic, who philosemites love to love? It was evidently the latter: today, I noticed that she had “unfriended” me. Ms. X no longer wants to be my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment