Sunday 29 April 2018

On Self Promotion


In reaction to my previous blog item, in which I urged you all to buy my book, one anonymous reader, suggested that I was overdoing the sales talk.

I must, of course, apologise, to anyone who felt beleaguered by my open and honest wish that you buy the book. But why would it be wrong for a researcher and writer who has spent three years in researching a subject, which he finds important, and has written a book explaining his findings, to do his utmost so that as many as possible should buy and read the book.

Indeed, I had an offer from a renowned academic publisher, who wanted to publish this book in hard cover, but whose end product, would have been substantially more expensive. I decided to go for the paperback version, to make the book accessible.

True, one aspect of this wish, is the quest for personal satisfaction, but in a book, that deals with an important societal issue, such as mine, the wish for the message to be heard, is at least as powerful.

1 comment:

  1. Of course you should advertise the book and encourage people to buy it. Why else would you publish a book? I have bought it, am hugely interested in reading it and am looking forward to have it signed!!! Some people clearly live on another planet... HR

    ReplyDelete