Thursday 27 January 2011

On Not Finding a Plumber

Four or five months ago, I asked a plumber to give me a quote for a new hot water cylinder. He gave me a ballpark figure and promised to get in touch with a detailed offer. After a week, I rang to remind him. He was surprised that I had not received his letter and then remembered that he had forgotten to send it. He promised to send the quote the same day. Nothing came. A few weeks later, I asked another plumber to have a look. Same story.

The third plumber who had done work for my neighbours was very friendly and seemed quite knowledgeable and interested in the job. Whenever I rang to remind him, he was truly apologetic and promised to send me the offer within a day. After the fourth time, I stopped reminding him.

It is not a small job and I would have thought that in the recession we are meant to be in plumbers would be happy to get the work.

Now I am on to the fourth plumber. Michael was recommended by my landlord. I chased him on the phone for about a week. Finally, last Tuesday, I managed to speak to him. He was unable to come before Friday but he would come on Friday to look at the job. He promised to ring later that day to arrange the time for Friday. He didn’t. Nor did he ring on Wednesday or on Thursday. Finally, I managed to speak to him on Friday and I was told that he would not be able to come that day. Moreover, as he was leaving for a skiing vacation, he suggested that I get in touch with him after his return.

7 comments:

  1. You must be on something called the plumber's "blacklist". They don't want to do business with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently all the Poles have left UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sympathize. Your story reflects my own experiences in Jolly Old England. `twas ever thus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a really amazing story. thanks a lot for sharing this kind of information with us. its really very helpful and amazing that provide the very important knowledge about the plumbers. thanks a lot for sharing it with us.This blog post is really amazing and have the very affective and attractive content.

    Drain unblocking in Wellington

    ReplyDelete
  5. In Georgia, there are a lot of skills you need to succeed as a plumber. As a result, there are many steps an apprentice plumber needs to take to become a Journeyman or Master Plumber. plumber Denver

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can browse the details of certified plumbers by putting keywords, "plumbing in Tulsa", in your favorite search engines to get a list of plumbers. Make a right choice on skills and experience basis. Do not overlook the aspect of reliability and not pay them in advance, unless you are sure that they are reliable. plumber Owasso

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you be comfortable having their Service Technicians working in your home? A plumber should conduct a complete background check and random drug testing on all employees. plumber open now in reno



    ReplyDelete