Friday 17 January 2014

David Cameron's Platitudes


Zara Phillips, Princess Anne’s daughter, one of the Queen’s eight grandchildren, has today given birth to a daughter. This is, I am sure, wonderful news to the family, but totally irrelevant to Britain. That is, unless you get excited by the 16th in line to the throne.

Why does the British Prime Minister think it necessary to come out with a statement, and a banal one on top?

"It's wonderful news and I'm absolutely delighted for the couple. I know them a little and I know they'll be absolutely devoted and delighted parents, so happy news all round."

So Cameron knows them “a little” and judges that - unlike other parents - they will be “absolutely devoted and delighted parents”. Must be that blue – rather diluted by now – blood. 

1 comment:

  1. He didn`t say, nor imply, "unlike other parents".

    Did you know that according to psychologists` findings, approximately 90% of all human verbal utterances consist of smalltalk, gossip and platitudes?
    And I suspect the percentage for politicians is even higher.

    So I think you are a bit stern with jolly old Cameron.

    ReplyDelete